Homemade Nutella (Nut-Free!)
Similar to the chocolate spread we all know and love, but made instead with sunflower seeds instead of hazelnuts and no refined sugar. It can be used in so many ways, but is especially good spread on a slice of toasted whole wheat bread and topped with fresh fruit. You will need a food processor to to cream the sunflower seeds into a buttery texture. Full of protein, vitamin E, selenium, and magnesium these seeds sure know how to pack in the nutrition and health benefits! Oh, I am sure I don’t need to go into the health benefits of chocolate… right?
Write a review
- 2 cups raw sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1½ tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons maple syrup (may sub agave or honey)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 teaspoons coconut oil or vegetable oil, optional (for extra smoothness)
- ½ cup milk, dairy or nondairy
- In a medium non-stick pan, toast sunflower seeds over medium-high heat. Stir frequently to avoid burning. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature before using.
- In the bowl of a food processor, process toasted sunflower seeds, stopping intermittently to scrape down the sides of bowl. Continue 2-3 minutes until seeds have turned to thick, creamy butter.
- Add in remaining ingredients and blend for an additional 4-5 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
- Store in airtight container up to 30 days in the fridge –if it lasts that long.
Erika Fore http://ahimsawellnesspractice.com/